Monday, February 18, 2008

Riley's Greatest Hits

Over the past week, Riley has really started to walk. He took his first steps a few weeks ago and has slowly gained confidence in walking from point A to point B. Now, he cruises all over the place. And he falls. A lot.

So in honor of our son's newest form of transportation, I thought I would make a Top 5 list of his best crashes, falls and injuries thus far. These are made up of the one's I witnessed AND remember. He has bumped his head more times than I can count but these stuck out to me. So far, his injuries have been very minor and his pain tolerance is pretty impressive. And after a minute or two of watching traffic go by outside our house, he is back to his old self. That is why I am making this list. I am not making light of his falls - though some are quite humorous. I just thought I would honor him as he makes the transition from crawling baby to "toddler". And now the list:

5. His first "official" injury on record. He was standing in between Missy and I and he made a move toward our glider ottoman and missed. He crunched his head on the corner of the wooden ottoman creating the first "ouchie" on his head.

4. This was not a specific instance but the #4 spot is given to our coffee table. He has hit it from every angle and every corner. We have rubber guards on the corners but he pulls them off with his teeth.

3. This happened last week. We were at his friend Carter's house. Not two minutes after we got there, he cruised up beside their stone hearth and cracked his head on the corner. I saw the whole thing unfold. Within two minutes, he was back to playing.

2. This happened tonight. He was walking around our room and wanted to play peekaboo behind one of our curtains. Then made the mistake of combining the two. He walked into the curtain and kept going. As he kept walking blindly through the curtain, he tripped and faceplanted into the side of our dresser. I have a feeling we will see that one tomorrow.

1. This one doesn't have to do with walking but was impressive none the less. I had the brilliant idea of putting him on our bed while I got something out of my dresser (The one he collided with tonight). Two seconds after I turned my back, I heard Missy gasp. I turned and saw two little legs go over the side of the bed. Missy sprinted across the room and caught his head but the rest of him crashed to the floor.

So those are the best falls thus far that I can remember. In the future, we will continue to do our best to protect him and he will do his best to make that job difficult. We hope and pray that these little bumps and bruises are the worst of his injuries. We have put him in God's hands and that is all we can do. So far, we have been able to laugh at (most of) his falls. Now we can look forward to when he learns how to ride a bike......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he SHOULD have a helmet...