Thursday, November 15, 2007

Two Worlds.....

I met Josh the first weekend of my freshman year at college. We had our adventures from dodging trains to dodging trucks to dodging class. I made a trip, along with a few other friends, to Korea to see Josh and watch a few World Cup soccer matches. He and his wife now live in Boston and have made a few trips down to see us. Just as we have made a few up to see them.

Josh was the first college friend I told that Missy and I were pregnant. I did so mainly because only a few weeks earlier he asked flat out if we were pregnant and I had to lie and tell him no. We hadn't reached the magic time threshold when we could tell people. I called him back because I felt guilty. Nonetheless, he was the first.

And this past Monday, he was the first college friend to meet Riley in person. Josh was passing through for a day or so on his way to (eventually) the West Coast and he wanted to see our little guy. Riley was a little shy at first. Then after about 45 seconds of shyness he warmed up to Josh. Well, actually, he just kind of stared at him. Then he would smile. Then he would stare. Then smile again. (I think I had the same reaction when I met Josh) Eventually he would warm up to him enough to play with him (see pictures below). By the end, they were old friends.

For me, it was a somewhat surreal experience. It was sort of like my wedding day when people that are near and dear to me from all different times of my life all of a sudden were together at the same place and at the same time. For the past (almost) 8 months, Riley has been our world. He has changed our lives in ways I cannot begin to describe. He is our life. And all of a sudden he was playing with a guy that I've known for over 10 years and have shared many great memories and conversations with.

I loved it. I hope that he will be able to meet some of my other friends as he gets older. And hopefully he can laugh with them and have fun with them the same way I did (and continue to do).

Just maybe this time without the trains.......






No comments: