Wednesday, December 05, 2007

My First Christmas Ornament

I will be the first to admit that I am a nostalgic sap when it comes to Christmas. I watch that cheesy animatronic Rudolph special every year (I actually own a copy of it). I play the same Christmas CD as the FIRST Christmas music of the season (Tony Bennett Christmas) AND I always always ALWAYS put the first ornament I ever got up on the tree first.

This ornament is a ten inch fabric doll with brown hair, red cheeks and suspenders. Across the front of the little boy's outfit are the letters "R Y A N". I love this ornament. Even in the box of ornaments that I have accumulated over the years, this one lies on top (because it is usually the last one taken off the tree). It reminds me of my childhood even though I don't remember getting this ornament because I was only about 9 months old when I had my first Christmas.

Missy has allowed me to continue this tradition even since we got married. The first few years in our little apartment, we had a tiny little fake tree and this ornament took up half the front of the tree because it HAD to be front and center.

This year, because we are in a house, we were able to get a real tree that is about 6 feet high. Of course, the first ornament I put up was my Ryan doll. Missy and I continued to put up ornaments (while listening to Tony Bennett) as Riley slept. Then later after he woke up I held him and showed him our Christmas tree with the pretty lights. The first thing he leaned in to touch? My first Christmas ornament. That was when it hit me. I have come full circle. Here I was, a father holding his son who was about to have his first Christmas, holding an ornament I got before my first Christmas ornament 30 years before. On Christmas, Riley will be 9 months old-just like his dad was on his first Christmas.

I don't know what my first Christmas was like. I know that Riley's first will be FULL of gifts (thanks Mom). I also hope that he too will get a first Christmas ornament and that he will cherish it the way I have cherished mine for the past 30 years. And one day, he can hold his son and show him the first ormanent he ever got for the Christmas of 2007.

Merry Christmas, bud.




No comments: