Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I guess I am way behind the times. Apparently, blogs have been around for a few years. I guess that's ok - I still have never illegally downloaded a song so I must be a little slow. Sorry veteran bloggers. I do dig the idea of writing stuff for people to see and comment on. Hopefully someone will read this and post. Even if you think I am an idiot and my blog is melodramatic, I'm ok with that. At least you took the time.

Well, I guess the natural thing to do in my first blog is to explain what my name means and all of that. Well, it actually has meaning on a number of levels. My best friend's stepdad gave me the nickname "Chief Rain in the Face" because I have been known to have bad luck wherever I go. I've had food poisoning enough times to be considered a biohazard myself. I am a Philadelphia sports fan - that should be explanation in and of itself. I have gotten a hole in one but had no one there to see it. In fact, I didn't even see it. I took a penalty and got a 4 on the hole. So I guess "dry in rain" is supposed to be some sort of defiance to my bad luck. Any psych majors out there, feel free to analyze this at any time.

The "rain" also means life. I have become keenly aware at how "life" - work, school, chores, errands, television - to name a few facets - can consume you much like when you are standing in the rain you have no way of not getting wet. You wake up in the morning and get ready for another day in much the same way you did countless days prior. You go through the motions of life day in and day out only to find a week has gone by. A month has gone by. A year has gone by. Has anything happened of worth - other than the weekends that you count down to every week or the vacations you savor for a week or two only to be right back where you started (perhaps worse?) when you return. "dry in rain" is my meager attempt at avoiding that. While I have a job to go to and I have errands to do, I don't want those things to define me. I don't want those things to count down the time - minutes, hours, days - I have on this earth.

"Rain" to me also means sin. In this life, everyone sins. To exist on this earth and not sin is like jumping into the ocean and not getting wet. In this instance, "dry in rain" does not mean that I am perfect. Far from it. Here, "dry in rain" is yet another meager attempt. It is a stab at doing the impossible. It is my attempt to curb my human nature. As a human being, my instincts tell me to be selfish - to think of myself. To sin. While I know I will fail at this venture, I do want to strive for perfection. Not because perfection is the point. Not because doing the right thing will bring eternal happiness and joy. Not because I will achieve financial gain. I am doing it because that is what God calls me to do - to live in the world but not of the world.

Uh oh - I mentioned the "G" word. Yes, I am a Christian. However, that doesn't mean that I always vote Republican, watch televangelists, hate gay people and want to blow up abortion clinics. Actually, quite the opposite is true in every case.

However, to explain further, I will wait until my next post. :) Thanks for reading so far.

Oh yeah, "Reflecting on the journey" - I just thought it sounded deep. I had about 10 different ideas and got impatient so I decided on this one. Moving, isn't it?

No comments: